In this tutorial, you will learn to make uncoordinated and awkward movements like this…
- Hands straight forward (toward the sensor) register a value of 127. Vice versa, hands pointed away from the camera (behind you), have a value of 0.
- Hands directly to the side of the body, away from the body, are 127, while hands at the center of the chest are 0.
- Hands up high are at 127, hands at the ground, are at 0.
- Install Synapse for Kinect. (Note: I had also installed libfreekinect, but I do not think this is required. Let me know if just installing Synapse for Kinect does not work!)
- Run Ableton Live or similar program that can accept MIDI input to modify oscillators, tune parameters, etc. With Ableton live you can use the MIDI map mode to specify which parameters are affected by which MIDI messages.
Let me know if you have any questions by contacting me.
6/3/2012 – Updated the kinect-to-midi.zip file to include the kinectNormalize.js file that was originally missing.